A S C R A P B O O K O F S O L U T I O N S F O R T H E P H O T O G R A P H E R
Reviews of photography products that enhance the enjoyment of taking pictures. Published frequently but irregularly.
13 February 2013
Boinx has added three major new features to Fotomagico, its OS X slide show software. They include image masking, support for Mountain Lion Auto Save and layer opacity control.
The new masking feature applies a border of adjustable width and color to oval or rectangular mask shapes with fade-in/out visibility and animation.
Auto Save optionally taps into Mountain Lion's feature of the same name. You can set the number of Undo steps, too. Boinx said it has reduced save times for large shows from about a minute to "less than a second."
Opacity control creates transparent images with start, fade-in/out and finish options in addition to the percent opacity.
The update includes a number of other refinements and fixes as well:
- When resizing a title width, the title now stays centered.
- When an audio track is muted, ducking in the track is ignored.
- If a document window is obscured during fullscreen playback, various animations are now suppressed to optimize playback performance.
- Color correction is reflected in Storyboard thumbnails.
- The ducking percentage text field is enabled when needed.
- Sharing for DVD now exports 48 kHz audio instead of 44.1 kHz.
- Audio fades now sound similar in exported movies and live playback.
- Eliminated a visual glitch where all Storyboard thumbnails would briefly disappear after saving a slide show.
- Eliminated a layout glitch in the Stage when a slide show is first opened.
- Many edge case situations that led to inconsistent audio fades have been eliminated.
- Sharing assistant now warns you when filenames contain illegal characters.
- Fixed incorrect rendering of layer opacity when visibility was restricted to a portion of the slide lifetime.
- Fixed audio volume of a movie layer not visible during whole slide lifetime.
- Audio timing is now much more reliable if a slide show is started somewhere in the middle.
- Adding, moving or adjusting very long audio files is now much quicker than before.
The new version, a free update for existing version 4 users, is available now from either the Apple App Store or the Boinx Web site for $79.99.
Details are in the press release below.
Indulge in the Season of the Carnival and
(Un-)Mask Your Creative Prowess
Boinx's latest update to FotoMagico revels in the spirit of Mardi Gras by adding Masks that will make slide shows as fun as the floats journeying down Bourbon Street
PUCHHEIM, Germany -- Fat Tuesday has come and gone, but that doesn't mean you can't indulge in some sweet slide show making! Hot off the press, FotoMagico 4.2 is now available just in time to savor all (or at least most) of the favorite memories captured during the past week of Mardi Gras celebrations. The latest update to Boinx's slide show presentation software, FotoMagico 4.2 is all about Masks. Just like the masks worn at Mardi Gras celebrations, FotoMagico 4.2 Masks bring excitement to slide shows, only revealing desired parts of an image, while strategically hiding others to create mystique.
"Masks are the kind of advanced feature that power users crave," comments Oliver Breidenbach, CEO of Boinx Software. "Masks give users the next level of creative freedom, making it easier than ever before to create stunning animation effects and evoke specific emotions within the audience. Clearly, we are committed to providing the very best slide show creating experience on the Mac."
When you create with FotoMagico, we've always got your back. Your work will automatically be saved with FotoMagico 4.2 support for OS X Mountain Lion Auto Save. Because just like Mardi Gras, sometimes productions can get a little crazy and having Auto Save can be a major life-saver at times.
New Features in FotoMagico 4.2
Apply Masks to images, movies or titles in the shape of a rectangle or oval to highlight or hide a specific area of the desired image Fine-tune Masks by moving and scaling, inverting and blurring the edges -- all independently of the layer they apply to Change individual layer opacity to create partially transparent images, movies or titles Save work quickly and automatically with Auto Save, which never interferes with the process of creating
See Masks in action! Watch these upcoming videos to find out more:
FotoMagico 4.2 is available now for 20 percent off for a limited time only at the Mac App Store and on the Boinx Software Web site, at just $79.99. FotoMagico 4.2 is a free upgrade for existing version 4 users.