A S C R A P B O O K O F S O L U T I O N S F O R T H E P H O T O G R A P H E R
Reviews of photography products that enhance the enjoyment of taking pictures. Published frequently but irregularly.
6 May 2013
Today at Adobe MAX in Los Angeles, Adobe announced Photoshop CC, the next iteration of Adobe's flagship digital imaging software would be available in June but only via the Creative Cloud, as the CC designation suggests.
The company also announced a full suite of Creative Cloud desktop apps and the end of Creative Suite development although Creative Suite 6 products "will continue to be supported and available for purchase," the company said.
Photoshop Product Manager Zorana Gee discussed Photoshop CC on the Photoshop blog:
We're thrilled to announce that the next version of Photoshop, the world's most popular digital imaging software, will be available to Creative Cloud members this June! This release, called Photoshop CC, will deliver dozens of new features, including capabilities in sharpening, upsampling and reducing blur, improvements to designer tools, added capabilities in Adobe Camera Raw and much more.
Among the Photoshop CC highlights, Zee mentioned:
- a new Smart Sharpen providing "richer textures, crisper edges and more distinct details"
- Intelligent Upsampling that "retains edge detail and reduces the noise and artifacts normally associated with enlarging images."
- Camera Shake Reduction that "analyzes the trajectory of the camera shake and helps restore sharpness"
- Editable Round Rectangles
- Adobe Camera Raw 8, which will also function as a filter so you can apply "Clarity, Noise reduction and Temperature on any layer at any time"
In addition, Adobe made a few other significant announcements:
- Adobe is accelerating its shift to the cloud with a major update to Adobe Creative Cloud. Available in June, Creative Cloud reimagines the creative process through a feature-packed set of desktop applications and sophisticated cross-device collaboration and publishing capabilities.
- The company will focus all of its creative software development efforts on its Creative Cloud offering moving forward. Adobe's desktop tools, previously known as Creative Suite, are now branded CC to reflect that they are an integral part of Creative Cloud and have been reinvented to support a more intuitive, connected way of creating. While Creative Suite 6 products will continue to be supported and available for purchase, the company has no plans for future releases of Creative Suite or other CS products. This update to Creative Cloud includes the next generation of Adobe desktop applications -- including Photoshop CC, InDesign CC, Illustrator CC, Dreamweaver CC and Premiere Pro CC.
Details are in the three press releases that follow.
Powerful New Adobe Photoshop CC Debuts at MAX
Milestone Version of The Industry Standard in Digital Imaging Anchors Major Update to Adobe Creative Cloud
LOS ANGELES -- At Adobe MAX, The Creativity Conference, Adobe announced Adobe Photoshop CC as part of a major update to Adobe Creative Cloud. Photoshop CC pushes the boundaries of possibility, offering a powerful new creative process, legendary imaging magic and greater creative freedom with new tools and workflows. Adobe Photoshop CC will be available, exclusively to Creative Cloud members, in June.
Adobe's desktop apps, including Photoshop, were previously known as Creative Suite and will now be branded CC to reflect that they are an integral part of Creative Cloud and have been reinvented to support a more intuitive, connected way of creating. Photoshop CC includes a wide range of innovative enhancements, including new image deblurring and sharpening features to improve design workflows and new Camera Raw capabilities. This update combines Photoshop standard and Photoshop Extended features to deliver greater accessibility to 3D tools and image analysis, while Creative Cloud integration offers flexible collaboration and sharing capabilities.
"With the ability to quickly deliver new innovations, we're empowering photographers and creatives to push the boundaries in digital imaging and design," said Winston Hendrickson, vice president of products, Creative Media Solutions, Adobe. "Our customers will no longer have to wait 18 to 24 months to access new Photoshop innovation. When a new Photoshop feature is ready -- whether it's the next Healing Brush or something as mind-blowing as Content Aware Fill -- we'll deliver it via Creative Cloud."
New Features in Photoshop CC
Photoshop CC brings a wide range of new features and enhancements designed to unleash creativity and boost efficiency whether perfecting photographs, designing for online and offline media, creating 3D artwork or shooting video.
- A fleet of new tools introduce the most advanced deblurring and sharpening technologies to date. The new Camera Shake Reduction tool analyzes and corrects for blur from camera movement to produce a better image. The all-new Smart Sharpen tool uses adaptive sharpening algorithms to minimize noise and halo effects while producing high-quality results. With intelligent upsampling users can increase the size of an image -- large enough for a billboard -- without pixelating the image.
- Adobe Camera Raw 8 brings three new photo-editing capabilities to Photoshop CC. The Advanced Healing brush allows photographers to "heal" or "patch" images with a brush stroke instead of a circular area. The new Radial Gradient offers powerful controls to draw attention to the focus of an image without applying a standard vignette and the Upright tool automatically straightens horizons and applies perspective corrections without distorting the image. Camera Raw edits can also be made to any layer or file within Photoshop CC.
- For designers, improvements to rounded rectangles add the ability to adjust corner radii at any time. Users can also now select multiple paths, shapes and vectors at once, providing a faster, easier workflow for working with multiple objects.
- In previous releases, Adobe Photoshop Extended was released as a separate application comprising all Photoshop features as well as 3D and image analysis capabilities. Beginning with Photoshop CC, all Photoshop Extended features will be integrated within one application, providing all users with advanced capabilities for 3D image editing and image analysis.
- Photoshop CC is the first Adobe desktop app to include the ability to post files directly to Behance from within the application, showcasing work immediately and integrating peer feedback into the creative process. Behance is the world's leading online creative community, with over 1.4 million members. Photoshop CC includes all the Photoshop feature innovation delivered exclusively to Creative Cloud members over the last year, including: Smart Object support for Blur Gallery andLiquify effects, Conditional Actions andCSS support for faster web design.
- Adobe is also previewing a new workflow from Photoshop CC to Edge Reflow CC that will enable creatives to build web designs in Photoshop that can easily be turned into responsive Web sites, viewable across devices. Adobe expects to update Photoshop CC with this new capability this summer, underscoring the constant steam of innovation delivered to Creative Cloud members.
"I capture thousands of images for my 'Day to Night' projects and am always looking to improve my creative process," said Stephen Wilkes, an award-winning photographer, whose work has appeared in Vanity Fair, Sports Illustrated, Time, Life Magazine and The New York Times Magazine. "With Photoshop as part of Adobe's Creative Cloud, I don't have to wait every year for a new set of tools and features, like Smart Sharpen and the new upsampling capabilities, to help achieve my vision. I'm also excited about the integration with Behance. As a photographer, the ability to connect to a global community of artists, art directors and designers is very inspiring."
To find out more about Photoshop CC, users can connect with the Photoshop team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Photoshop; YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/photoshop; Photoshop.com blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/; or via Twitter: http://twitter.com/photoshop.
Adobe Accelerates Shift to the Cloud
New Product Innovation to be Delivered Exclusively Through Adobe Creative Cloud
LOS ANGELES -- At Adobe MAX, The Creativity Conference, Adobe accelerated its shift to the cloud with a major update to Adobe Creative Cloud , the company's flagship offering for creatives. Today's update to Creative Cloud is packed with features, reimagining the creative process through a new set of "CC" desktop applications and enhanced cross-device collaboration and publishing capabilities (see separate press release). With this update, creative files can be stored, synced and shared, via Creative Cloud, on Mac OS, Windows, iOS and Android; and Behance, the world's leading online creative community, is integrated with Creative Cloud, so customers can showcase work, get feedback on projects and gain global exposure.
Creative Cloud's advanced capabilities are making it a hit with the worldwide creative community: more than a half million paid members and well over 2 million free members have signed up for Creative Cloud since it was launched in April 2012.
Adobe also announced that the company will focus creative software development efforts on its Creative Cloud offering moving forward. While Adobe Creative Suite 6 products will continue to be supported and available for purchase, the company has no plans for future releases of Creative Suite or other CS products. Focusing development on Creative Cloud will not only accelerate the rate at which Adobe can innovate but also broaden the type of innovation the company can offer the creative community.
"We launched Creative Cloud a year ago and it has been a runaway success," said David Wadhwani, senior vice president and general manager, Digital Media, Adobe. "By focusing our energy -- and our talented engineers -- on Creative Cloud, we're able to put innovation in our members' hands at a much faster pace."
On top of new collaboration and publishing services and the integration of Behance, today's announced update to Creative Cloud includes stunning versions of Adobe's next generation of desktop applications -- including Adobe Photoshop CC, InDesign CC, Illustrator CC, Dreamweaver CC and Premiere Pro CC. Adobe's desktop tools, previously known as Creative Suite, are now branded CC to reflect that they are an integral part of Creative Cloud and have been reinvented to support a more intuitive, connected way of creating.
Adobe is facilitating the transition to Creative Cloud with attractive pricing plans and promotions for individual members, teams and enterprise customers. For more details, visit: https://creative.adobe.com/plans. Adobe will continue to sell licenses for all CS6 products via electronic download from adobe.com and participating resellers.
Adobe Unveils Major Update to Creative Cloud
Includes Next Generation of "CC" Desktop Applications and Delivers Fully Integrated Cross-Device Collaboration, Community and Publishing Capabilities
LOS ANGELES -- MAt Adobe MAX, The Creativity Conference, Adobe announced a significant update to Adobe Creative Cloud , the company's flagship offering for creatives. Available in June and packed with new features, Creative Cloud reimagines the creative process through a stunning set of "CC" desktop applications and sophisticated cross-device collaboration and publishing capabilities. Creative files can be stored, synced and shared, via Creative Cloud, on Mac OS, Windows, iOS and Android; and Behance, the world's leading online creative community, is now integrated with Creative Cloud, so customers can showcase work, get feedback on projects and gain global exposure. With Creative Cloud publishing finished work has never been easier, with enhanced services that build and power Web sites, mobile apps, tablet publications, online portfolios and content for virtually any medium and device.
By signing up for Creative Cloud today, creatives will be set up to download and use these latest cloud-enabled innovations from Adobe, when they are available next month.
"Creative Cloud brings together everything you need to create your best work. We're delivering incredible new versions of our desktop tools, services that take publishing content to the next level and we're making it easier than ever for creatives to collaborate and share their work worldwide," said David Wadhwani, senior vice president and general manager, Digital Media, Adobe. "Creative Cloud is a destination that champions inspiring work and builds lasting connections within a vibrant global creative community."
Frictionless Creative Workflows
This milestone update to Creative Cloud simplifies the entire creative process. Core features include:
- Desktop, Web and Mobile Access. Creative Cloud allows users to stay connected with workgroups and the creative community via their desktop, Web site or mobile device. With Creative Cloud, your entire creative world gets its own centralized hub where ideas, files, fonts, settings, notifications and team members are connected and organized. Join group folders to work collaboratively; track updates and comments to shared files; stay connected to work on Behance; get notified when app updates are available and download the latest updates; and access favorite colors, fonts and settings, wherever you are.
- Integration With The World's Leading Creative Community. With Behance now integrated with Creative Cloud, members will be able to publish their own portfolios, follow other creatives, publish work-in-progress from within a growing number of CC apps and solicit feedback from the worldwide creative community. Over 1.4 million creatives globally are part of the Behance network.
- Synchronize, Store, Share and Collaborate. All files and assets will be automatically synchronized between the desktop, cloud and mobile devices. A designer can take a photo on their iPad, use Photoshop Touch to refine the photo while on the go, then access that file, via the cloud and use Photoshop CC on their Mac or Windows PC to further enhance the image. Designers can designate shared folders and invite others to collaborate on files. Edits are stored with version history so users can share their files with confidence. Individual members receive 20-GB of storage.
- Seamless Publishing. Creative Cloud members have access to the services necessary to publish highly personalized portfolio Web sites using Behance ProSite, high-impact digital magazines for iPad using Digital Publishing Suite Single Edition and PhoneGap Build to create and publish mobile apps for any device. Adobe Typekit features an unmatched library of old-classic to new-favorite fonts for use on Web sites -- and, with this update, creatives can use many of these same fonts directly in their desktop applications.
Available Exclusively to Creative Cloud Members
This update to Creative Cloud includes the next generation of Adobe desktop applications -- including Adobe Photoshop CC, InDesign CC, Illustrator CC, Dreamweaver CC and Premiere Pro CC. Adobe's desktop tools, previously known as Creative Suite , are now branded CC to reflect that they are an integral part of Creative Cloud and have been reinvented to support a more intuitive, connected way of creating. Adobe Creative Cloud includes more than 30 tools and services that enable professional-grade content creation and delivery across print, web, mobile apps, video and photography.
Hundreds of new features are included in these latest versions of Adobe's industry-defining desktop tools. Innovations include:
- Photoshop CC (see separate press release) will ship with new sharpening technologies and designer workflow enhancements. Camera Shake Reduction deblurs images that would have otherwise been lost due to camera movement. All-newSmart Sharpen makes texture and detail pop and Adobe Camera Raw 8 adds even more powerful photographic controls to straighten and perfect images. Photoshop CC is the first Adobe desktop application to include the ability to post files directly to Behance from within the application, showcasing work immediately and integrating peer feedback into the creative process.
- For designers, the Touch Type tool in Illustrator CC offers a new level of creativity with type. Move, scale and rotate text characters knowing that it remains editable. This feature works with a mouse, stylus or multi-touch device. Illustrator also enables painting with a brush made from a photo. Art, Pattern and Scatter brushes can contain raster images, so designers can create complex organic designs quickly, with simple brush strokes. A new, modern architecture for InDesign CC turbocharges performance and in-browser editing in Adobe Muse CC -- a tool for designers to create and publish HTML Web sites without writing code -- allows clients to make edits to a published Web site, which can then be reviewed, approved and updated by the designer.
- For video customers Adobe Premiere Pro CCincludes dramatic new editing features, customizations and improvements to help editors work efficiently. Premiere Pro CC integrates powerful color workflows, with the addition of the Lumetri Deep Color Engine to easily apply rich color grading looks.A high-impact version of Adobe After Effects CC brings motion graphics and visual effects artists more creative possibilities and allows them to work more easily in 3D with the new Live 3D Pipeline with Maxon Cinema4D integration. There are also all-new versions of Adobe SpeedGrade CC, Audition CC, Prelude CC and Adobe Story CC Plus.
Membership Plans and Availability
This major update to Creative Cloud is available in June. By signing up for Creative Cloud today, creatives will be set up to download and use these latest cloud-enabled innovations from Adobe, when they are available next month. Creative Cloud membership for individuals is U.S.$49.99 per month based on annual membership; existing customers who own CS3 to CS5.5 get their first year of Creative Cloud at the discounted rate of U.S. $29.99 per month. Students and teachers can get Creative Cloud for $29.99 per month. Promotional pricing is available for some customers, including CS6 users.
A team version of Creative Cloud includes everything individual members receive plus 100-GB of storage and centralized deployment and administration capabilities. Creative Cloud for teams is priced at U.S. $69.99 per month per seat. Existing customers, who own a volume license of CS3 or later, get their first year of Creative Cloud for teams at the discounted rate of U.S. $39.99 per month per seat if they sign up before the end of August 2013.
Adobe also announced Creative Cloud for enterprise today and special licensing programs for educational institutions and government. For more details, visit: https://creative.adobe.com/plans.