Photo Corners

A   S C R A P B O O K   O F   S O L U T I O N S   F O R   T H E   P H O T O G R A P H E R

Enhancing the enjoyment of taking pictures with news that matters, features that entertain and images that delight. Published frequently.

Around The Horn Share This on LinkedIn   Tweet This   Forward This

13 October 2021

In this recurring column, we highlight a few items we've run across that don't merit a full story of their own but are interesting enough to bring to your attention. This time we look at the Huntington Beach oil spill, Edward S. Curtis, Wildlife Photographer of the Year, St. Peter's Basilica, the LaGuardia Airport camera collector, auto modes and Shortcuts.

  • Mark Murrmann collects images from a variety of photojournalists covering the Huntington Beach Oil Spill. The cleanup is going to take a while, he notes, but you can't keep surfers from hitting the waves.
  • The Muskegon Museum of Art is exhibiting Edward S. Curtis: Unpublished Alaska, the Lost Photographs online and through Jan. 9, 2022. The images, intended for the 20th volume of Curtis's The North American Indian, have been passed down through the family until now.
  • The Guardian presents a few winners from the Wildlife Photographer of the Year contest to be exhibited at the Natural History Museum, London from Oct. 15.
  • Grace Ebert features France-based photographer Aishy's series Red Lights: Vatican in which St. Peter's Basilica is recolored in red and blue using Lightroom (which beats going to the trouble of, say, covering l'Arc de Triomphe in fabric).
  • In A Scream, Mike Johnston retells the tale of the "bomb scare" last Saturday at LaGuardia Airport in New York. A camera fan was fiddling with his East German Certo 6 (or something like it) after digging up some information on the Web, alarming a fellow passenger who apparently could not find anything worth reading in any of the magazines proffered for her amusement. "The public is reminded yet again that photographers are always up to no good," he observes.
  • Jason Row explains Auto Modes and Exposure Compensation. Auto modes can "nail the exposure quickly and efficiently 90 percent of the time" and exposure compensation handles the other 10 percent, he writes.
  • Howard Oakley begins a series on macOS Monterey's new automation tool (borrowed from iOS) in Shortcuts: Automating the Mac. "As an introduction to future articles about Shortcuts and how to get more out of it, this article provides an overview of the last 28 years of scripting the Mac," he writes. Although, he limits the discussion to Apple-developed scripting tools.

More to come! Meanwhile, here's a look back. And please support our efforts...

BackBack to Photo Corners